To be the "Light on the Hill" sharing the message of our Lord Jesus Christ so that they may see our good works and glorify our Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
The Metropolitan Church Family is first and foremost about doing the work of God and spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. Since our inception in 1943 we have stayed focused on doing the will of God. We have been blessed with excellent Pastorial Leadership, from our Founder Reverend John B. Holmes to our current Pastor, Reverend Damone Paul Johnson. Reverend Johnson is a dynamic and anointed teacher and preacher of the gospel. His magnetic style has enabled the church to grow exponentially since he took the reigns in early 2003. He is a strong believer in the power of prayer and has taken on a motto of: "Moving from Membership to Discipleship on Our Knees".
We are consistently challenged spiritually to be a blessing to others in our community and to encourage them to join in the love of Jesus Christ. Through our various ministries, including, but not limited to our missionary auxiliaries, various choirs, youth department, workshops and events throughout the year that target more specific needs of Christians in a modern, ever changing world. A few of our annual events include: Thanksgiving Baskets, Toys for less fortunate children at Christmas, Community Days where we provide school supplies, clothing donations to families, voter registration assistance and an all around fun-filled day for the surrounding neighborhood residents.
What We Believe
- We believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
(1 John 5:12-13)
- We believe that Jesus came into this world and died to save us from our sins.
(1 John 5:12-13, 1 Timothy 2:5)
- We believe that the Bible is God's Holy Word, It is the Christian's guide book.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- We believe that every person can go to God for themselves through prayer.
- We believe that baptized believers should bare witness to a new life in Christ.
- We believe that Christians should be concerned about the lost and try to win them to Christ.
(Acts 1:8, Proverbs, Matt 4:19)
- We believe that we have the Holy Spirit to lead us, guide us, and comfort us.
(Galations 5:16-18, John 4:23-24, John 14:26, John 16:7-15)
- We believe that everyone should worship God in Spirit and in truth.
John 4: Verses 21 - 22
Please come join us and learn more about God's goodness!
Metropolitan Baptist Church - 105 Second Street, Albany, NY
- Sunday, 8:30am - Early Worship Service
- Sunday, 10:15 am - Sunday School
- Sunday, 11:30am - Regular Worship Service
Note: Sunday School is at 9:25am and is open to everyone! Children, Young Adult, and Adult classes!
Wednesday, 5:30pm-6:30pm - Prayer Meeting
Wednesday, 6:30pm-7:30pm - BIBLE STUDY, TUFF (Teens Utilizing Fearless Faith) and GPS (God's Precious Stars)
First Saturday of every month - 8:30am-9:30am - CORPORATE PRAYER